Over the last months, Hyperkin have released beta version of the firmware for Retron 5. But now, they have released a stable firmware v2.0.
The biggest addition to last firmware (v1.6) is support for IPS/UPS patch. This means that you can patch for example Japanese games with an English translation and add graphical hacks to games.
They also added Super Game Boy-emulation. See picture bellow on how Pokemon Red and Link’s Awakening are looking with their Super Game Boy-borders.
Complete list of firmware v2.0 changes since v1.6:
- IPS/UPS patch support added (allows application of translation patches, graphic/level hacks etc)
- Added ability to assign “turbo” button mappings
- “Game specific settings” added, allowing certain settings to be configured on a per-game basis
- Support for SGB borders added
- Color scheme selection for GB games added. In addition, the correct CGB colors will be automatically selected for certain games
- “Disable FM sound” option for SMS games added
- SGB multi-player mode working (and Gameboy player/button mapping has been split from GBA in Settings)
- Fixed screen shaking in some GBA games
- Added support for SNES SPC7110 cartridges
- File manager is now able to operate on folders (select with long button press) and copy/remove folders recursively
- Screenshots may now be saved as either PNG or JPEG, with PNG made as the new default
- Revamped in-game hotkey configuration
- Improvements to rendering synchronization
- Misc game compatibility fixes (King of Monsters, Fantasy Zone, Sky Kid, Youkai Club)